Monday, October 29, 2007

England #8

London at last!
Here is a picture of the hotel we stayed at in London. We used Priceline's "name your own price" and got a really great deal! I fully recommend it. I was concerned after our price got accepted, what if we were in the ghetto of London or something?! Then I reminded myself that God is in control. So I looked to see where it was in relation to friends of Daniel's that live in London. It ended up being only about a mile away, so that helped me relax.

Our hotel was The Millenium Copthorne at Chelsea Football Stadium. (Actually attached to the stadium.) When we got over there and I told some folks what I had worried about they laughed and said the Chelsea area is actually a posh place to live. So, no worries!

Here is the sidewalk outside our hotel that we walked down often to get to and from the underground from our hotel. We really enjoyed using the underground and thought once you figured out the system, it was a great way to get around the city.

We never did figure out the bus system. We did ride some buses with Daniel's friend Joel just telling us where to go. That worked very well! :) So we experienced it, but preferred the underground.

We wanted to try some authentic London fish and chips, so we found this place pretty close to our hotel. We are not real big fish eaters, but you can't go wrong when it's fried, right? We enjoyed it.

Here's an intersection we walked past several times on our way to Marks and Spencers to get chocolate croissants for breakfast. Delicious!!

These are Daniel's friends, Joel and Fiona, who live in London. (Or did, they will be living and working in Afghanistan, again, come October.) We arrived in London Sunday late morning, so Joel and Fi invited us to go to church with them Sunday night then come over for supper. We really enjoyed their church and spending a relaxing time with them. Thanks guys!!

Daniel and Joel grew up in Nepal together, and Fiona was there as well, though I don't think they knew her then. I had met Joel while Daniel and I were honeymooning in Nepal, but this was my first time meeting Fiona. It was a very nice time together and I enjoyed getting to know them a bit.


One thing that we enjoyed while in London was the mixture of old and new everywhere. We often saw a really old (or old design) building next to a modern one. Which made for some interesting pictures. I'm sure that I will have more of these sorts of pictures to post as we go along.

No comments: